history

HISTORY OF COIMBATORE ST MARYS ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL FORMERLY [ST MARYS ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH].THE FIRST MALANKAR ORTHODOX CHURCH OUTSIDE KERALA.

A set of Orthodox Syrian Christians who were predominantly Oil Merchants from Kunnamkulam, in search of business prospects and orthodox Christians who were plantations owners from Travancore region settled here in Coimbatore were the key cause for establishing this church in Coimbatore exclusively for their spiritual needs and strong faith not wishing to compromise of their orthodox faith.

In 1923 they applied to the Coimbatore municipality to allot a land for building their worship place .And by paying a small sum and on the Directives of His Holiness ,the Malankara Metropolitan and our SABHA BASOORAN H.H.VATTASERIL GEEVARGHESE MAR DIONYSIUS , the foundation was laid and the building process of the church progressed. The merchants had done hard labour like carrying stones and sands on their back themselves on Sundays and other days.

Then the Church was named as St Marys Orthodox Syrian Church .The locals called it Syrian church near panangattu aspithire. Even now the two roads from the Cathedral leading to Poo market is named after our church as No-1 syrian church Road and No-2 Syrian Church Road.

In 1930 January the first Holy Qurbana was conducted.The church affairs were managed by the members and the Spirtual needs were fulfilled by Fr John Mananam and Fr Thomas Marett.

The Church was Declared as CATHEDRAL after its Renovation on 21 February 2004 by H.H. Baselious Mar Thoma Mathews II .

  • This Cathedral has K.K.Pudur and Sulur Chapels under its Administration.
  • The Cathedral Cemetery is at Sowripalayam.
  • Every year Cathedral perunaal is celebrated on August 15, the annunciation Of St Mary’s.